Room Vacancy Process

This guide should help you through your decision process and allow you to determine what you would like to do since you no longer have a roommate. You have four available options below.


If this is the option for you, go to the submission area at the bottom of this page. By choosing to have a single room you will stay in your current room and will not be assigned a roommate. If you choose to have your room as a single, it will be for the remainder of the academic year which ends in mid-May. The cost of a single room will be pro-rated from the date that your roommate checked out. The additional cost of a single room is $500.00 per semester.

This option expires when someone decides to make a room change into your room.


Option Two: You have a new roommate in mind or are actively searching for a new roommate to live with you in your current room.

Option Three: You decide that you want to move into a room with someone else.

In deciding between these options, you need to determine how happy you are living in your current building and/or floor. Don't be afraid to ask others to be your roommate in your room or their room or in an available empty room. Students do more room changing than you think.

If you need assistance coming up with roommate options, you can check the Housing Gateway ( to find other vacancies in your hall or across campus. Once on the Gateway choose Change My Room and you will be able to see any vacancies that are available to you. You can simply pick a room or you can go and meet the possible roommate and then decide.

Once you have decided who is moving, the moving resident will need to go to the Housing Gateway and request the room change to the new space.


The last option indicates that you want a roommate but are not actively seeking one. You could get a new student to the halls, a student that wants to move from his/her current room, or you may get a student that has been reassigned as a result of conduct situation.

Choose this option only if you truly are willing to accept anyone as your roommate. This option could also result in a room consolidation should another vacancy exist or be created on your floor (see below).


University Housing has two types of single rooms: singles that residents have paid for and singles resulting from a vacancy. In an effort to be fair to those paying for a single and to make best use of all our spaces in the halls, we have a consolidation policy. The consolidation policy is as follows:

Multiple unpaid single spaces on a given floor where both students indicate that they want a roommate will be consolidated into one given room. Residents will not be asked to consolidate to another floor within their building.

Consolidation creates an open room that is available as a single for another student or as a double room for two students wanting to live together. If there are two students without a roommate and residents can't decide who should move, University Housing will make that determination and will inform the residents who will be moving. The resident that needs to move has four days to move.

If you are the one who must move and you don't move, you will be charged for a single room starting from the date of vacancy in your room plus $100.00 with the total charge not exceeding $500.00.

I'm Ready to Continue

If you have additional questions, contact University Housing, or 715-232-1121 or 170 Price Commons